has anyone seen this yet?
I know people like to theorize about the promo shots. And in this one, even thought its painfully John and Mary looking…happy (BLECH!)
I don’t see a ring on John’s left hand? Unless its blending in really well with his skin? So they did a promo shot for John and Mary, but John is without ring?
Her dress is from e1 so…?
The dress is from TEH, so John’s lack of a wedding ring matches that choice of outfit. But what I find most interesting is Mary’s facial expression. I’d personally describe this not as a promo shot of John and Mary looking happy, but as a promo shot of John looking happy and Mary looking…secretive.
And of course, regardless of varying fandom opinions about Mary’s past, “secretive” is something that she was unquestionably demonstrated to be.
He’s sort of openly, genuinely smiling, while her expression is more of a half-smile, and her eyes look slightly troubled. And it’s definitely due to the positioning, but her face is also sort of half-shadowed, almost as it was in HLV during the reveal of the Big Secret. (Lighting analysis is Not My Division so I hope 221beemine will chime in if I’m Reading Too Much Into That.)
MORIARTY BEING LIKE “OH, YOU STILL DON’T KNOW, DO YOU? THE REASON WHY HE DIED. WHY HE… LEFT YOU. FUNNY REALLY, THAT HE DIDN’T TELL YOU HIMSELF… BUT, I SUPPOSE… UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES…” and he glances meaningfully at john’s wedding ring or mary if she’s around AND JOHN IS LIKE… SO MAD.. .JAW CLENCHED… JUST LIEK… WAITING TO HEAR WHY SHERLOCK JUMPED BECAUSE HE’S SO CURIOUS… AND MORIARTY KNOWS
Isn’t this a lovely pic! found it on a Hungarian site (x) & it’s a total unseen for me. Don’t they look lush together. (It didn’t show up anywhere else on google images)
BBC Sherlock Season three - John Watson & Mary Morstan Promo Image -
they’re slowly revealing things bit by bit don’t you udnerstand. they want us to tear each toher apart like animals. its already begun
Here’s the high resolution cover art for the brand new official behind the scenes book Sherlock: Chronicles, just revealed by Ebury Publishing.
Pre-order on Amazon UK.
“INTERVIEWER: It strikes me as quite the contrary to expectation in a way, that because there have been so many takes on [Sherlock Holmes], there’s less pressure to conform to one of those.
GATISS: As Benedict [Cumberbatch] has said—for him, approaching a character that’s been played over 200 times before—one of the most liberating things is that there’s a big difference in this one.
And so, hopefully, this one can be mine.
I can own this one a bit more, because there’s a huge change with it being in the modern day.”
(DenOfGeek.com interview, August 2010 [x])
i try to not think about the kiss too much because i know i’ll end up disappointed if it doesn’t fit my personal headcanon but the one thing i want is that i want it to be long, really long, the kiss that will make uncomfortable heterosexuals even more uncomfortable, the kiss that will become tv history, i want basically sherlock and john to kiss for two minutes, stumbling towards sherlock’s bedroom while still passionately kissing, i want it to be passionate and desperate and so full of love
i want the kiss to be the culmination of everything the show aspired to be
Once somebody asked me why it’s ‘so important’ for John and Sherlock to be in a romantic relationship. This was my response:
- Because the programme makes frequent references to Sherlock and John being a romantic relationship for comedic effect, and if that is never actualised, that is all they will ever be, and queer people are sick of their queerness being used as a punchline when straightness is very, very rarely used in the same way. This isn’t just offensive, it’s frankly bad writing.
- Because, whether you care about the subtext or not, it is present, and, as romanticjohn put it, queer people are used to looking for that kind of sexual subtext in reality. If that subtext is never actualised, it will have been queerbaiting - teasing a queer audience with the possibility of much-needed representation which, in our media-centric society in which so many of our ideas about who we are come both consciously and subconsciously from what we see on tv (a process called interpellation if you want to look it up) should be a basic right, not something that people hold out hope for.
- Because, although Johnlock couldn’t have been canon in the books due to societal restrictions, the canon did contain plenty of homoerotic subtext which queer critics have been studying since its publication.
- Because only one previous adaptation has ever dipped into the (very popular) queer readings of the Sherlock Holmes canon, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, and the writer, Billy Wilder, had to keep it highly subtextual due, again, to societal constrictons (which no longer exist to nearly the same strength, opening up new possibilities), and Gatiss refers to it as ‘the film that changed my life’.
- Because after over 100 years, people are still asking this question.
oh no my poor ask box
I can’t respond to everyone since I don’t know what all I can say. But a snippet from her email said:
Basically, Copper Canyon Press is publishing Richard Siken’s new book, War of the Foxes, and we want you to be a part of it. We were really impressed with and excited by your posts and edits and feel that you—and the rest of the Tumblr Sherlock community—is on to something by fusing Siken’s poetry with this show you love so much!
I will post more about it when I know more, but yes, I would love love love to help get his new book notice. :D
- I believe in TJLC, which is an inherently good trait obviously
- I can draw and write half-decently (whenever I feel the urge/motivation to draw or write, that is)
- I consider myself lucky that I have wide interests as far as learning shit—I’m going Full Science as a career choice but I still love the arts as a hobby
- I’m funnier than my sister 😎
- I’m Neutral Good, like John Watson, so 💃
John will kiss Sherlock’s forehead in S4 mark my words
if sherlock and john arent in gay love then why are they in gay love